Wednesday 29 June 2011

Sew Gorgeous Dresses!

Lately my friend, Karina and I have been making dresses from pillowcaes. We have started a facebook group, SEW GORGEOUS.  Our aim is to make as many dresses (ourselves and with anyone that we can recruit) and send them to third world countries with various people who are making the trip anyways- to be delivered to children in need.

Karina and I are alike. We both have a heart for giving and serving.  Our goal is to one day go on a missions trip to Haiti.  Since we are at a phase of our lives where a trip like that is unlikely- I am so excited to say that we have finally found a way to help that we are really enjoying!

The support that we have recieved thus far makes me sooo happy. 

I am volunteering at my camp, Maple Grove (that I grew up going to, and where I met my hubby), this summer for family camp to organize and lead crafts.  During this week I have some cute, inspired crafts planned for the kids. I am also taking this opportunity to give the campers a chance to give back to other kids. They will be making these pillowcase dresses for needy children. I believe our first shipment will be sent with a friend to Dominican Republic to a Haitian refugee camp.  I also really want to do t-shirt decorating as well - giving the kids the opportunity to give them away, but am still looking for some t-shirt donations to help out, since my dreams are bigger than my budget.   With the younger kids I have a simpler craft (that doesn't involve needles) that can also be sent overseas to make little kiddies smile. 

If you have any sewing supplies, pillowcases, or ribbons that you're ready to part with be sure to let me know! Also if any of you are a decent seamstresses, or not, and want to give it a go (like me), feel free to take part in our project. 

Join us on our facebook group! Sew Gorgeous  

There are a few videos on youtube on how to make these dresses. This one is the simplest that I've seen.  And has a great soundtrack! :)  There are other videos too that show how to make a more well constructed dress.  The simplest ones take less than fifteen minutes with a sewing machine!

I have been pretty busy lately, and can't wait to share more about what we've been up to... but I'm too tired to upload my pics of our cute dresses... But I will post them soon.  Promise.  Posts are better with pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

As much as this blog is for me to record the lives of our family; I'd really love to hear from you- so that it isn't so one sided. Thanks for reading & commenting.