Saturday 7 May 2011

Sweet Potato and Beet Chips

I think that these are more delicious than kale chips, but they are also more work.
They are also pretty easy to make, though they need a little more time in the oven than Kale.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon melted coconut oil.
1 meduim sweet potato. OR 1 beet.

Method:
Preheat oven to about 325* (I used a star b/c there's not a degree symbol)
Peel the skin from your veg of choice. Discard.
Now, use the same peeler and peel the entire vegetable, to get thin slices of either sweet potato, or beet (which is a little messy). Once you get it mostly peeled and you're holding a stubby piece- slice very thinly.
Very thinly peeled slices of sweet potato

Melting my coconut oil.
I didn't use a microwave cos we ditched ours.
You can though. It should take about 10 secs.
Toss with coconut oil.

Place on parchment lined baking sheet, and bake.

You would have to use about five baking sheets if you didn't let them overlap. So let them a bit. When you do this some actually cook together making bigger chips. It took me about an hour to get the chips crispy. About halfway through, lightly flip chips so they cook a little more evenly. Watch them- so they don't burn. Take them out when they are no longer soft,-- when they are chip-like.
ENJOY!

Now, some other ideas.... You can sprinkle a little fine sea salt on before baking. Or, a little cinnamon sugar, or curry powder  would be excellent too.

Let me know if any of you try these.





5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE sweet potatoes, so this is one I am DEFINITELY going to have to try!! **

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lately, I 've been cooking these at a lower temp to keep them "raw" to retain lots of nutrients... So I cook them at about 180*

    ReplyDelete
  4. how long does it take to cook them at 180?

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMY- I'm sorry it's taken me forever... I'm actually not so sure- I can't remember. I will try again and let you know- but it also depends on how thin you slice them. Just stay close to them- that's my best advice.

    ReplyDelete

As much as this blog is for me to record the lives of our family; I'd really love to hear from you- so that it isn't so one sided. Thanks for reading & commenting.