Friday 6 May 2011

Kale Chips

Kale is one of the healthiest vegetables, and is the healthiest of the leafy greens. (Read waaay more here)
We make Kale chips at least once a week. Our whole family loves them! Its one of my best ways to get my kids to eat veggies (not that they have a problem, they are actually quite great eaters).
Sooo.
To make kale chips:
~Wash and really dry kale (preheat  oven to about 275)
~Tear into chip sized pieces, discarding the hard stem


~Coat in oil (I use olive. I bet coconut would be delish), I use about a tablespoon.
I either do this in a bowl, or in a large ziplock bag (this coats it well, with no dishes, or oily hands, and the kids think its great that they can shake the bag).
~Place on parchment lined baking sheet. When I do this I try to do one layer, though some pieces overlap.

coated in oil and balsamic,
on parchment lined baking sheet
ready for the oven!
~Sprinkle lightly with fine sea salt. (I don't use much; like a pinch- maybe 1/4 tsp)
~Place in oven. Keep an eye on them. I honestly don't keep the best track of the time. It probably takes about 20 mins.
EAT AND ENJOY!!


 
As another variation that we like, after coating chips with oil, toss in about a tablespoon of vinegar (balsamic, white, tonight I used apple cider vinegar) to make "salt and vinegar". Also, kale can be salted before or after they go in the oven.
Also, I find one bunch usually does two baking sheets.

I'd really like to make the vegan cheezy kale chips, but haven't gotten around to it yet (lots more work). Does anyone make their kale chips differently? What do you season yours with?

3 comments:

  1. Mmm... I'm totally going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this actually sounds pretty delicious! We'll have to make them next time I visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you'll both love it!

    ReplyDelete

As much as this blog is for me to record the lives of our family; I'd really love to hear from you- so that it isn't so one sided. Thanks for reading & commenting.