Sunday 15 May 2011

Strawberry Muffins

My darling friend Karina posted this recipe on her adorable blog a while back. It sounded sooo yummy.  So finally I made them, with a few changes (I'll post both recipies).  Karina's look a little more appealing than mine though.

We made a couple changes...
Instead of using butter, I used half Earth Balance buttery spread, and half coconut oil (still equalling a half cup)
Instead of using 3/4 cup of sugar, I used 1/2 cup agave nectar (when you substitute agave nectar for sugar, you use the same amount, ie. 1/2 cup sugar =1/2 cup agave nectar.... I used less, I figured these would be sweet enough with the strawberries, so I cut back a bit on the sweetness.  Also if you are baking.. for each cup of agave nectar you use, you are supposed to add 1/2 cup extra flour to make up for the added moisture)
Instead of the egg, I made a flax egg (see here ) (The site says to grind your own flaxseeds, I used flaxseed meal.  This didn't alter the muffin at all. You couldn't taste the flax, and it added extra health goodness without using an egg)
I used whole wheat flour- but added an extra 1/4 cup to make up for the moisture of the agave nectar.

* Mine turned out just fine. They looked a little burnt- though they were cooked perfectly. Apparently that happens when you use agave instead of sugar. Maybe next time I will try some other things. Like maple syrup to sweeten, and apple sauce instead of all the butter/oil.




No comments:

Post a Comment

As much as this blog is for me to record the lives of our family; I'd really love to hear from you- so that it isn't so one sided. Thanks for reading & commenting.