Wednesday 31 August 2011

Snap Shop

This summer has flown by! We have been busy as always. I have taken sooo many pictures. I am still putting ones from the summer onto my laptop, and sometimes can't even find the time to go through them and even rotate them the right way, and delete the odd one.
Last week I filled up a whole memory card (900ish pics) in under ten days. Yikes!! Thank goodness I don't have the burden of editing them.  Editing is something that I would like to learn to do. However, I feel its more important to be able to be able to take pictures as close to how I want them as possible.  Because, I can't seem to find the time. And I would rather improve my skills as a photographer, than as an editor.  And that is currently my focus.
I recently took part in Ashley Ann's snap shop. This was a great online photography class. I have taken photography classes in the past. But this is my favourite one yet. I already knew a lot of what she taught, but I think it was still important for me to read through those sections.  It caused me to be more purposeful in my photograph taking.  I was able to go through the classes at my own pace, and not feel stuck to look for a sitter on specific nights.
She gives pointers and shows very specific examples of everything she is talking about.  Which makes learning a lot easier.
I would suggest this class to others looking to learn and improve their skills. I also like that she is a mom, who takes loads of photographs of her kids- like me. I have found with other photography classes I have taken in the past, I am the only one with young kids, and everyone, including the instructor is more interested in taking pictures of non human things.
Here are a couple of my favourite photographs I took through the duration of the class.





The thing about taking pictures for me (and Ashley Ann) is that they should tell a story.
That's what makes them special for myself and our family. I'm not into posed pictures (cheese!) (though some are okay occasionally). I prefer to take photographs of our days, and to capture the moments.
So, for example- the first picture is the kids helping eachother get shoes on to go outside (that's not going to last forever).  The second is Ben looking out his window for daddy or a tractor.  The third is a wonderful beach day, where my son could finally swim on his own (thank goodness for puddle jumper floaters).  He's a wanderer. He likes to do his own thing, so this made him very happy and made us both feel secure. The next is Bella after a whole day in our little pool. She was learning to lay back and put her face underwater. I loove the look on her face when she came up. Shocked, and proud.  Lastly, eating one of many apples now that its harvest, and they can pick their own.

I hope that over time my photos get better, and maybe I can buy the lenses I think I need! Until then you get to see me practicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As much as this blog is for me to record the lives of our family; I'd really love to hear from you- so that it isn't so one sided. Thanks for reading & commenting.